Access & Savings Report
Access to lower prescription drugs is critical to America’s patients. Biosimilar and generic drugs play a critical role and creating this access, saving patients and the public hundreds of billions of dollars annually, and almost two trillion dollars over the last decade. Both offer promise of lower costs and competitive treatment options for patients.
Did You Know?
- The 12 years of market exclusivity granted by the U.S. to brand biologic developers is the longest monopoly period of any country in the world
- The average copay for a generic drug is just $6.06
- 9 out of 10 prescriptions filled in the U.S. are generic medicines
- Atorvastatin, the generic version of Lipitor, saved Medicare more than $20 billion in one year alone
Unfortunately, market obstacles, such as anti-competitive tactics, misguided government policies and rampant misinformation campaigns, risk patient access to lifesaving biosimilars and generics.
Now in its tenth edition, this year’s “Generic Drug Access & Savings in the U.S.” report released by AAM shares insight into the impact of biosimilars and generics to date and provides a critical look at how brands’ anti-competitive practices can negatively impact patients.
Social Media Toolkit
We invite you to share this report with your colleagues, organizations, partners and members. Increasing patient access and lowering prescription drug costs is critical to patients and essential to the health care system, so just click on the banner above to visit the AAM report landing page and please use the social content below when sharing on social media.
Images for Sharing:
Suggested Social Media Posts
- To rein in the soaring cost of prescription drugs, we need increased #access to #generic and #biosimilar medicines. @AccessibleMeds & @BiosimsCouncil #GRxSavingsReport update lays out WHY. #drugprices http://bit.ly/RxAccessReport
- Just last year, #generic drugs saved American patients $265 billion, but those savings are jeopardized by dangerous brand efforts to undermine patient access. @AccessibleMeds & @BiosimsCouncil #GRxSavingsReport #drugprices http://bit.ly/RxAccessReport
- #Biosimilars have the promise to increase the quality of life for countless American patients and save billions in health care costs over the next five years. New @AccessibleMeds & @BiosimsCouncil #GRxSavingsReport shares how. #drugprices http://bit.ly/RxAccessReport